Etsy

Blogging about a variety of things I enjoy. Also peddling my wares at Thicket and Thistle on Etsy.

Friday, February 5, 2010

stripes and stripes

One hot summer day a couple of years ago, my sister and brother and I checked out the Kreeger Museum, former home to Geico chairman David Kreeger and his wife Carmen. The building was designed by Philip Johnson and is airy and spacious, perfect for entertaining or, as it is now, for milling about pretending you're rich. For this reason, private homes-turned-museums are my favorites. The Kreegers were dutiful collectors of art from various periods (Brancusi, Frank Stella, Noguchi, Munch, Picasso, Klee).
A temporary show of Gene Davis's work was on exhibit that summer. I'd never heard of him but I liked the linear pops of color. Stripes, evidently, were his raison d'etre.
Davis employed all sorts of color sets - dark, light, bright.
The Kreeger Museum calls his stripes essays in "intervals."

This one reminds me of a beach towel.
Kind of makes me think of...
I've been meaning to copy him (sorry, emulate) but you know...just haven't gotten around to it. Apparently other people have the same idea though. I think they'd be fun in a kid's room.
Image 1 - Kreeger Museum
Image 2 - artnet
Image 3 - Birds of Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment