Etsy

Blogging about a variety of things I enjoy. Also peddling my wares at Thicket and Thistle on Etsy.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

diy bridal shower gift

I like to justify my large quantities of craft supplies by making gifts for people.  For a friend's bridal shower next week, I painted some pre-cut cork coasters from Michaels with pale blue Martha Stewart good-for-everything paint using an initial stamp I picked up for a dollar, also at Michaels.  The coasters are a pretty good deal; I think they were two or three bucks for four. 


I used a paint brush to paint the stamp itself, pressed that on the cork, then delicately filled in the impression with more paint.  Cork is porous and has a mottled texture, which worked for and against me.  Even this fairly straightforward stamp gave me some trouble so a more intricate image definitely wouldn't work well.  I didn't do the best job of painting but I think the graininess of the cork actually hides some of the imperfections.

I'm going to tie these with a little ribbon and give them as a supplementary present to break up the (enjoyable) monotony of opening gifts my friend specifically registered for.  A pretty easy and inexpensive outlet for my craft craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment